Tomislav Crncic

Default Subwoofer Output Question

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.music.makers.dj.]
On 2004-02-10, citronzx wrote:

I'm not sure why you think that a square wave will do damage to a speaker
but you are wrong. If you have a signal generator try playing a square wave
into a speaker for as long as you like and you will find that it causes no
damage. Think about it, what you are saying is that a coil of wire will be
damaged by an AC signal if the signal varies in a particular way. This is
silly of course as long as the power level is resonable for the speaker.
Oh, and I would like to see you graph a signal where a DC signal has any
sort of "edge." Sorry brother but you seem confused.

the speaker itself is not damaged by the dc component. the problem is the
transient from the sine to dc component, since it contains a lot more
energy in high frequencies. and what happens nesxt is that a lot more energy
than normal goes to tweeters, and they can not withstand it, so they burn out.

--
Tech Support: "I need you to boot the computer."
Customer: (THUMP! Pause.) "No, that didn't help."