Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

Default once and for all...

On Sun, 6 Oct 2013 06:42:24 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote
(in article ):

1. There are two recording/playback technologies that are known to more or
less accurately render directionality (and therefore spatiality) -- binaural,

and Ambisonics.
------------------------------snip------------------------------

I think you mean for 2-TRACK RECORDING.

One could make a good argument that 5.1 discrete surround does a far better
and more accurate job, assuming identical speakers and great acoustics.

I don't think either Binaural or Ambisonics have a place in 2013. To me,
there are far better, more practical systems that sound better, if your goal
is to reproduce music recorded in a natural space with real ambience.

I agree with the gist of what you're saying, but I think a lot of this stuff
is academic at this point. The vast audience no longer cares. I'm not
saying the purist classical audience doesn't matter anymore, but it's not a
realistic market anymore in the real world.

--MFW