Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default once and for all...

On 10/10/2013 11:16 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
A brief comment on the hall simulator idea - the Philips company in
Eindhoven built a semi anechoic room that had (I forget how many exactly)
over 20 speakers and signal processing to replace the ambience that would be
missing in such a room. That can work, but I think it would be best with
very dry recordings whose ambience can then be brought back in such a room
with processing from a convolved signal captured in the original hall.

Lexicon makes such a system, called LARES. It was intended for
installations, but a friend of mine has it installed in his studio in
the Seattle area and it works very well. The room sounds quite good with
the LARES turned off but you can turn it on and change the ambient
characteristics over quite a wide range. Musicians who record without
earphones like playing in more spacious sounding room. But of course it
can't take out what the room sounds like.