Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default once and for all...

William Sommerwerck wrote:
One other comment, and I will let this drop...

The idea that the listening room should have a //significant//
interaction with playback has long been abandoned, for the all the
obvious reasons.
The only currently acceptable form of interaction that I am aware of
is LEDE. It was developed to //minimize// room coloration from early
reflections, while allowing the creation of ersatz "immersion",
without significantly altering the speakers' direct sound.

I agree that we should drop it for now. This discussion is beyond what we
might call the "Alrich Barrier" of knowledge about acoustics and
psychoacoustics. All I am trying to tell you is that the live sound has a
complex pattern of direct, early reflected, and reverberant components to
the total sound field. If you reproduce what you have recorded with just the
direct sound from a pair of speakers, any speakers, the reproduction will
sound different from the original and you have got to replace the missing
fields somehow. The sound doesn't just "go into your ears" and you hear the
original. On any playback system, the spatial nature of what was recorded is
changed into the spatial characteristics of that playback system.

Gary