Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default Hey Hank!

Nate Najar wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to start anything!

Troublemaker!

I just wanted to know what happened to one of my favorite forums, and I
know hank is a contributor in both places, so I reached out here.

People were going through withdrawal.

But, Hank, while I've got you in a thread, thanks ever so much for the
recommendation of that red eye preamp. It is absolutely fabulous in every
sense- my amplified sound has never been better.

That's how I feel about it, too. And you're welcome.

Except that one time I showed up to a gig with a singer and I figured
since there were no drums, I would just use the red eye into the PA
instead of bringing in my amp. But the house PA was one of those Bose
stick things and it was so godawful even the redeye couldn't make it
sound good. At the intermission I promptly went and grabbed my
amplifier from the car!

I find those very weird. Honestly, I've heard worse. I have found that
how I feel about what I'm hearing through them is greatly dependent on
distance and position. On-axis, fairly close, and below the level of the
rig sounds the worst to me. I think it's because basically it's a bunch
of cheap drivers, and from that position there's a slight difference in
arrival time of signal from each. Further back in the room, off to the
side, not so bad.

I like the Baggs version much better. It has better drivers, and a
tweeter. It doesn't scale for large venues.

I've never heard the Phil Jones version, but I'd like to. The cost is
considerably higher. It scales. I've really appreciated his guitar and
bass amps.

http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?c=4

I have been meaning to call Darren. I want one they does the exact same
thing, but has a volume knob instead of a boost, and the footswitch
mutes the thing instead. That would be convenient for me in many ways.

Given how hard they're working to keep up with current demand I don't
know that a custom unit is feasilbe for reasonable money. However, the
Twin version mutes input A when you switch to input B, and in boost
mode, that gain pot is a volume control.

(I have personal experience with that mute action, as at first I was
prone to aim for the boost and also hit the switcher button, thereby
depriving the sound system of any sound at all from my instrument. g)

I have a few of the orignial Twin models that are switchable A/B, now
superseded by the Twin Mix version, which is switchable between A/B or
A+B. They're availalbe for $215 plus tax in CA or shipping elsewhere in
the US, while available. Daren's not going to build more of those.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri