Arny Krueger

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" said:

My hybrids have 80 dB S/N at 20Veff out (1 x E288CC in SRPP, 2 x
SJ50/2 x SK135 per channel).

20 volts rms is AKA 50 wpc 8 ohm load if its well below (at least 1
dB) clipping. Of course you didn't say whether the 20 volts is peak,
peak-to-peak, RMS and how far below clipping and at what range of
frequencies. IOW, its a meaningless claim as stated.

Veff is RMS.
It is well below clipping.
At 1 % THD, I've measured 22-something volts in 6.8 ohms in parallel
with 2 uF. No ringing.
Frequency range is from 3 Hz-160 kHz -3dB.
The latter corner frequency due to the anti-slewing filter at the
input.

That is approximately 105 dB below 50 watts. 25 dB better, AKA
*lots*.

Indeed, but anything below 80 dB S/N is of academic interest IMO.

Since that's just you're opinion, there's no possible further discussion.

Especially at the listening position, which is about 5 metres in my
case.

Even worse than the hybrid.

Of course.

Phono preamp has about 62 dB S/N (2 x CV4004/ECC83, passive RIAA
inbetween), mostly pink noise, so not annoying.

Insufficient data for a reasonable comparison.

For a toob phono preamp not unusual.

In all cases without phono, noise and/or hum isn't noticeable with
the ears in the speakers.

Substandard power levels and/or lack of comparable statistics noted.

This is with full gain, so it may be compared to 50 watts/8 ohms.

Hum is below 80 dB (can't measure better than that at this moment).

Get back when you have the stuff it takes to play, thank you.

It's enough for me, thank you.

A KT88 push pull in triode will deliver more than 5 watts.

So will a cheap IC using a scrap power supply from a laptop.

Non-sequitor noted.

Is't the discussion about toobs as opposed to SS?

The average wattage (voltage, actually) in an average room at
average listening volumes ( 75...80 dB SPL) will be mostly in the
1...5 watt range with average sensitive speakers (88 dB/w/m).

Good for people who have zero interest in coming even vaguely close
to live music levels for an energetic string quartet... Next time
I'm recording one, I'll measure the SPL generated by a solo violin
or flute. I bet they can top 90 dB @ 3 feet.

Absolutely.
And your listening room is also the size of the hall you're recording,
right?

SPLs are SPLs regardless of the size of the room.

Listeming room (roughly 7x10x3 metres).

Pretty large.

Apoparently, you need higher SPLs in your situation.

Part of the live listening experience is the SPLs.

No problem, when I'm your age, I'll probably have the same need.

False claim that preference for live music at live levels is due to the
aging process noted.