ted hyland

(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Stephen Anderson wrote:

I had a similar problem with a roller cleaner product from a company
called Geneva, sold at some of the recording supply houses here in L.A.

The Geneva/Nortronics pinch roller stuff was methyl acetate. Not really
intended as a cleaner so much as a softener. It's good stuff on natural
rubber rollers and it prevents them from crosslinking and getting shiny
and hard. BUT, if you have urethane that is breaking down, it will make
it break down faster.

It may just be too old. If it can't be salvaged, don't get a new roller
from Studer. The roller from Athan in San Francisco is far better. It's
one piece, no separate tires, and it has 3 "tire" protrusions on it,
which will press against the in-between spots on the capstan that are
not polished smooth.

Absolutely. And Athan can rebuild your old roller with new urethane too,
so you'll have a spare.
--scott

Thanks for all the advice. JRF Magnetics had an Athans roller in stock
and since they are alot closer to me it will be here in time for my
session. Also he had some cleaner that I'm pretty sure I can trust. I
might look into getting the old one rebuilt also, that sounds like a
good idea.

I'm pretty sure I hastened the demise of my already deteriorating
rollers so I guess I needed new one anyway.

Ted