west

"mike m" wrote in message
news
Hello All
I want to thank everyone who responded to my question.
I have decided however to throw in the preverbal towel.
Unfortunately, to me, this hobby is no longer fun. Trying to keep 45
year old equipment running has reached diminished returns.
Six months ago I installed new circuit boards, replaced all resistors
with Riken Ohm resistors, installed Hovland music caps, installed new
quad caps and replaced loose tube sockets. Was it worth it at the time?
Absolutely! But 6 months later, I need to pull everything to see if one
of the components has failed at operating voltages.
I just want to enjoy the music. I want to just listen and enjoy.
I learned 6 months ago how much better, newer equipment can sound. I
replaced a Fisher 400c and Heathkit SP2a dual mono pre with an Audio
Research SP9. What a difference 40 years makes. I sold a Mc 225 since
it was sounding so veiled, I did not even get started with that rebuild.
So over the next few weeks I will start to sell off both of my st-70's
and both Mk3's. I also will replace my FM3 amd FM1. E-mail me if

interested.
I also have a stash of 100's of tubes for this equipment, plus 100's of
other's I've collected to build that future super amp.
I've decided to purchase a Primaluna Prologue 5. One hell of an amp for
the price.
So again, to all thank you for the last 8 years of advice, but I'm going
to stick building loudspeakers and listen to the music
best to all
Mike Mueller

Hi Mike,
It's too bad that you're giving up. You see, I believe that most Rodents
like to tinker and enjoy a technical challenge. That's the best teaching
tool available. If you do not enjoy this aspect of audio, then you are
probably correct in purchasing a ready built system and let the
factory/dealer worry about problems. In reading this thread, I think the
biggest problem is that you may not have an array of test equipment that
should make troubleshooting your problem fairly simple. One can only go so
far in swapping only, even though, especially in mono systems, there is much
redundancy. Good luck.

Cordially,
west