Posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf gray_wolf is offline

Default Question about Digital vs. Analog

On 2/11/2019 5:31 PM, geoff wrote:
On 12/02/2019 4:36 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
geoffÂ* wrote:

We are talking specifically in an electric guitar context no ? Hardly an
amp designed to minimise distortion ?

So that would be why distortion from over-driving a solid-state guitar
amp (discount 'modelling amps') is just as pleasing as that from a valve
amp then - not ?

Comparing a tube amplifier and a solid state amplifier is like comparing
apples and oranges... totally different topology, totally different output
stage.Â* Many of the differences have little to do with the devices and
everything with how they are used.Â* An enormous amount of the coloration from
a tube amp is in the output transformer.
--scott

So there is no truth in the old adage that distortion products of over-driven
valves are of predominantly even order harmonics which are pleasing to the ear,
as opposed to the predominantly odd-order harmonics that resulting from the
distortion from over-driving solid-state devices, which are considered
unpleasantÂ* ?

geoff

Compare the output tube amplifier and a solid state amplifier with a scope as
you drive them into distortion. Notice how much softer the tube amp goes into
distortion than the solid state does.

Years ago I almost had a fight with my steel playing friend. He came in and ask
me to put some distortion in his amp I had built. I screamed "I've been trying,
for years to get the distortion out and you want to put it back in!"