differently because you think the desired design is ugly. How long you
think you will be in business?

You don't seem to have much grasp on how service industries work. It is
rarely the mastering engineer's call. Lables, artists, producers, any
and/or all want the work done a certain way. You either do it that way
or you find another line of work.

You are not exhibiting much "common sense" about this. All about the
money = being able to afford to live.

It's about both sounding good and being produced in a technically correct fashion. It is outside the scope of my morality to overmodulate or overdrive a format even if I am being told to or "paid to".

And this: http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...sofourtime.jpg is none of the above! It not only doesn't sound good, it's harmful to one's hearing(you have to listen to it at a whisper because so much content is contained within a 2dB range of volume - your receiver volume is at or two out of ten and your significant other is complaining her ears hurt!) AND harmful to the equipment it is being played on(both the ventilation holes on top of my receiver, and the coils of my speakers, were very hot from playing this hypercompressed material). I had to put on some original CD AC/DC just too get the cones moving again to cool things down! Seriously. Even at relatively loud volume levels, tracks such as "Bohemian Rhapsody"(Queen) "Back In Black" or "1812 Overture" on Telarc do not cause my receiver to warm up appreciably, because there is breathing room between the beats and between verses & choruses.

I'd rather engineer for -15dBfs with a dynamic range from -25 to -5. Just because that leaves a lot of "space" represented graphically doesn't mean all that space needs to be filled with sound all the time. What the heck wrong with people??

I'm living in the wrong decade I guess.

-CC