Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Ohms specs for headphones...do they matter?

I base my theory on the fact that a 4 ohm speaker will be
much louder than an 8 ohm speaker when driven by the
same amp?

Much?

Given an amp that's a constant voltage source, a 4-ohm (not OHM) speaker
will pull twice the power that an 8-ohm speaker does. That's 3dB -- only a
_slight_ difference in loudness. And that assumes both speakers have the
same efficiency -- which they probably don't. The 4-ohm speaker could very
likely play at a lower level.