Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Tripath?

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in
message

In article ,
(Martin Schöön) wrote:

Anyone here with firsthand experience of amplifiers
based on Tripath's ICs?

For example:
http://www.41hz.com/

I haven't used them personally but I read their sample
schematics and docs. They're not audiophile but they're
nothing to worry about for the MP3 generation. Their
primary feature is enabling ultra-compact amplifiers with
low complexity and cost.

The irony is that the Tripath amp I have, which is based on their TA2020
chip and a few discrete transistors, is neither smaller nor cheaper, nor
simpler than a comparable linear amp would be. The parts count and size is
inflated by the low pass filter on the outputs. The heat sinks are tiny, but
everything else is pretty much regular-sized. The output filter network is
almost half the amp, and is loaded with inductors that were no doubt not
free.