Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Tracking at 24/96 vs 24/48

On 1/21/2017 11:19 AM, James Price wrote:
Do you think it's the norm for most studios to track at 24/96 or 24/48? Or is it a mixed bag?

Mixed bag. Mostly, I track at 24-bit 44.1 kHz. I rarely track at 96 kHz
because I don't have any gear (or ears or sources, for that matter) that
needs to work on anything above 20 kHz. I can be more conservative with
level and leave more headroom when working at 24-bit than16-bit
resolution, so I waste my memory space on headroom that I might use
rather than frequency response that I won't use.

Some digital signal processors work better at 96 kHz, so if that's how
you work, there's an advantage to using that sample rate to start off
with. And if your paying client asks for a particular sample rate, you
should be prepared to use it.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then