Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck[_2_] Peter Wieck[_2_] is offline

Default Ways to make speakers go anywhere.

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 5:52:02 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Are there any speakers that will work well without being placed well?
There's a lot to be said for smaller (so more domestically
acceptable) main speakers with separate subwoofers.

http://www.wghwoodworking.com/audio/...rPlacement.pdf
http://www.wghwoodworking.com/audio/...production.pdf

Andrew.

I sat on my fingers for some time before answering this one. Lots of snarky stuff came to mind, none of which was worthwhile.

In my office, which is in a basement, carpeted and with a low acoustic-tile ceiling, 16 x 11, I am using an AR Athena system ( https://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads/...32ae7887.j pg ) with a Dynaco ST35/PAS3X 17-watt tube based combination. Which works very well.. My Granddaughter has my Revox Piccolo sub-sat system in her under-the-eaves room in a 200 year old farmhouse. Also works very well driven from a Revox A720/A722 combination.

So, there is much to be said for sub-sat systems (that are sufficiently robust in the bass) in very awkward rooms. But the bottom line is that were I to be able to place speakers as simple as the Dynaco A25 properly in either of these rooms, they would blow the sub-sat systems out of the water. That I cannot makes them a valid, even a good option. Needs must when the devil drives.

And any sort of dipole speaker in either location would be an absurdity.

Now, those articles are kinda-sorta beside the point. Interesting, but not really applicable.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA