Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

Default Conn tuner

On Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 10:29:36 AM UTC-6, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
TimR wrote:

Wait, people can't hear when they're out of tune? Can't tune a pure unison
by ear?

If that skill is missing seems like a strobe tuner will get at best one note
in tune.

How right you are. In the 7th grade, my parents got me a used wooden
"Carl Fisher Artist Model" Clarinet. I had to pull the barrel way out
to tune it to A=440.

Years later I found that it was made for "High Pitch", maybe A=450? You
could tune for concert Bb, but then the throat tones were extremely flat.

Talk about a bad ear!

Fred

Many student clarinets were sold with shorter barrels because students hadn't developed the embochure to play in tune. I ran into this with an Artley clarinet that a better player purchased from me and had installed a professional mouthpiece. I contacted Artley and they sent out an assortment of barrels for the customer's choice.