Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Neil Young Unveils His Own Version of the iPod

"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1403181331350.26276@darkstar. example.org...
What I don't get is why they need to put 128GB into it if it can use
memory
cards? Apple has fixed memory so they can charge ten times the price for
it,
but frankly I'd be happier if all such devices came with nothing but an
SD
or uSD slot.

It gives you a start, and not many memory cards are as big as 128gigs.

Sure they are, but I'd rather have 2*64GB or 4*32GB cards myself, since they
can be swapped in a couple of seconds, cost less, you don't lose 128GB if
one fails, and you can organise your collection better.

I'm assuming this is about no compression, but maybe not. You'll need
more space for the songs, so you might as well start with something big.

But do you need a couple of hundred uncompressed CD's on inbuilt memory
rather than swap an SD card occasionly?

Yes, the card slot is a good thing, one reason I didn't buy an iPod.

Me either.

I did buy a Sansa Fuze, and so I'm still using my 8gig unit years after I
bought it, since I can expand it. But if I was keeping .wav's or
something like that on it, I'd want more space, and surely bulk buying
makes this a cheaper route than if everyone had to buy a giant memory
card.

Obviously you haven't checked what Apple charge for their bulk bought fixed
memory in their iPods and iPads or you wouldn't say that. I really really
hate that if you buy the cheaper versions with less memory, you cannot
upgrade them as memory prices fall. A deliberate rip off by Apple, whose
loyal customers like being ripped off apparently.

Trevor.