Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default possible to use car radio with car speakers in house?

On 19/02/2018 6:09 AM, geoff wrote:
On 19/02/2018 3:26 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Phil AllisonÂ* wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

5. The room is very reflective (due to the windows) but the surfaces
are not
Â*Â*Â* parallel.

** Gotta dispute that last oneÂ* -Â* sedan cars are very absorptive to
sound, due to abundant use of upholstery, carpet and roof padding.

You're absolutely right.Â* And because of that and the small distances,
the big
reflections off the windows are perceived as comb filtering effects
and weird
imaging effects instead of as reverberation.

The sound quality might be described as "intimate" with fake stereo
imaging and lots of bass boom.

It is strange, indeed.Â* I have known studios that had junk cars in the
back
specifically to get a sense of what playback in a car would sound like,
because it is so different than any other common acoustical situation.

Presumably just as a 'check' , not as the prime mixing or mastering
objective !

I have never seen the point given the fact that there are thousands of
different cars with different sound systems and different acoustic
spaces that all sound ..... different! I just master for good sound on a
flat system in a good environment. People who listen on crap and/or in
crap conditions are used to it anyway. Not my problem.
Now in the days where people seriously worried about what a pop40 single
would sound like on a portable AM radio, given that was their prime
market, there was some justification in checking that. These days
checking on earbuds is what is required for that music.

Trevor.