John

Default Linux and audio pro

In article ,
ceverett wrote:

John wrote:
that's nice. I know musicians who piddle around with computers in their
spare time too. that doesn't make them professional programmers any
more than you being a professional musician. enjoy your hobby but don't
get confused about what you really do.

You don't know much about free software. The first version of Linux
was written by a guy piddling about in their spare time. Now IBM, HP
and others sell Linux based solutions, based on its superior reliability
and value. You can be sure that movie studios are exploiting Linux
not just for video but audio as well.

I'd not be surprised to find that digital mixers and so on are running
embedded versions of Linux using JACK as the underlying interconnect
architecture. It's already good enough for that. I've been writing
software for DJing on Linux, and I would have been happy to use a Mac
if JACK hadn't been so excellent to begin with, what with it having
parametric EQ, reverb and just about any other effect I could ever ask
for, already written for me.

There are 3 major advantages to free softwa

1) you don't generally end up getting technical support from a screen
reader in Bangalore.

2) If it doesn't do what you want, you can crack open the source code
(or pay someone to) and make it do what you want, instead of waiting
for a marketing droid to decide your must have feature is worthy of
a developer's attention. Same goes for bug fixes.

3) Good free software projects usually develop cleaner, tighter, better
software faster than commercial developers can.

I predict that Audacity, etc. will catch up to and surpass their closed
source equivalents within a couple of years at the outside. Not half
bad for "hobbyist" work.

that's a very nice fantasy you got there, hang on to it as long as you
can.
--
Digital Services Recording Studios
http://www.digisrvs.com