philicorda

Default Linux and audio pro

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 05:05:43 +0000, james wrote:

In article ,
perso wrote:

I was talking about Agnula Demudi: ready for music.

Mike has my deep respect, but with all due respect, I'm sure he's
never tried that.

Possibly one out of a hundred comments on Linux audio here come from
people who have actually used any of the software.

It's interesting that if I were to post a comment on pro-tools here,
starting with "Well, I've never actually used pro-tools, but here are my
impressions", it would be laughed at.
To do the same with Linux/Ardour is acceptable for some reason.

The idea that a certain operation might actually be faster or more
pleasant in Ardour than $BELOVED_DAW is complete anathema. The way Jack
works to interconnect applications is incomprehensible as there is no
real equivalent on other operating systems to compare it to.

Many people have not gone through the nightmare of recovering ten year old
projects made with proprietary software, so the benefits of open file
formats and storing session data as human readable XML files mean nothing
to them. Yet.

Still, some of the criticism is valid even without direct familiarity with
the software. One thing stands out for me: that if there was a system
with Linux and Ardour that really was free, trivial to install, and
supported a wide range of audio cards then we would see a lot less
uninformed comments. Though not necessarily any glowing reviews either.