Posted to rec.audio.tech
vlad vlad is offline

Default HD or BluRay?

On Jan 9, 12:25 pm, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
wrote:
Mr.T wrote:
"Randy Yates" wrote in message
I don't have any facts to refute you, but my "gut" tells me this is way
off-base. I would guess that "most" folks (in the U.S.) have the ability
to download 20 GB more or less overnight right now [1], and that the
internet pipes are only going to grow bigger over time.

Is overnight, or even a couple of days, too long to wait? I don't think
so - many folks wait two to four days to exchange a movie from Netflix
these days.

--Randy

[1] The average cable modem download speed is around 4 Mb/s == 500 kB/s.
Then

(20 GB) * (1 s / 500 kB) * (1E6 kB / GB) * (1 hour / 3600 s) = 11.1

hours

Well here in Australia at least it would cost around $50 just for the
privilege of down-loading that 20GB. And definitely more than the cost of
buying the disk!
If your high speed connections are free, then lucky you.
Anyway I certainly hope those "bigger pipes" are not just clogged up with
people downloading HD movies, but you are right, once they can, they will.

Maybe.
I don't see HD being as successful as ordinary DVD.
To really get the benefits you need a pretty big screen doing 1080p
Watching LOTR normal DVD on a top of the range projector on a 12' screen
is better than most cinemas. I don't expect HD to be visually a great
deal better unless you sit so close your nose is almost touching.

--
Dirk

http://www.transcendence.me.uk/- Transcendence UK
Remote Viewing classes in London

I am here just to share my recent experience with HD DVD.
Last Friday I visited my friend who is watching operas on DVD from
his front projector. His picture is 15 feet diagonally on the wall
screen. Of course the signal to projector is delivered through HDMI.

He just bought Toshiba's HD DVD player. The purpose of this visit
was to look at the picture from HD DVD. He got movie "300" with his
player. So we sat and watched about 15 minutes of it. My impression
was that a picture was better then from DVD but very close to well
mastered DVD.

After that we had dinner and sat down to see Puccini's "Turandot".
It was from DVD that we both watched few times before and vere very
happy with video. But this time suddenly video looked grainy, fuzzy,
etc. The DVD did not change, his system was in perfect order. So my
hypothesis is that after viewing well made HD/Blue-Ray you are losing
capability to enjoy DVD.

BTW, the same thing happened when DVD was introduced. Before that
we watched operas from LazerDisk and enjoyed video very much. Now all
those Lazer's are unwatchable. On modern Hi-Def screen they are eye's
pain to see, pretty mach like VHS.

My 2 pennies :-)

vlad