Chris Hornbeck

On 24 Jun 2005 16:18:50 -0400, (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

In practice, the mid-range speaker polarity is often inverted because
that's the way it works best. Perhaps modern digital crossovers and
the contemporary knowledge of time-aligned cabinet design (instead of
just mounting all the speakers on a board with holes in it) have
changed this.

Certainly for the case of time-aligned odd-order Butterworth
crossovers, ideal in several ways, the lowest change in
group delay through the crossover region happens with the
drivers in opposite "DC" polarity.

But the OP's case sounds like he's possibly a victim of
expert-itis, often fatal, incurable except by radical
scortched-earth methods that would contravene the Geneva
Convention. Let us pray for our fallen brother.

Chris Hornbeck
"I can build you a test that will show either one. Which
would you prefer me to demonstrate?"
--scott