Preben Friis

"Ron Capik" wrote in message
Hi

Anyone have any tips on how to mic these things? I'd like to be ready
next time...

I recorded a saw once for a demo (A trio consisting of accordeon, saw and
cornet). I used a AKG C535EB, but had to roll of some of the treble to get
rid of the bow-noise wich can be very ugly.
My main problem was, that the dynamic range of that thing was very large.
One note could be -20 dB - the next could be above 0. I ended up compressing
it around 12 dB on peaks just to tame it a bit.

As with many acoustic instruments I think the radiation pattern will be
different from frequency range to frequency range. I placed the mic above
the players shoulder to record "what he was hearing himself". If I'm not
mistaken he played a "Sandvik Stadivarius".

/Preben Friis