Ron Capik

Default How should you mic a musical saw?

Hi

OK, I already posted this to the live sound group (and Ooops
wrong button) also accidentally posted this to the audio.tech group.
Anyway the more the merrier, So I figure maybe the studio/recording
folks might have different insights or experience.

I run sound for a mostly acoustic quasi-open mic situation and thus
do on the fly, limited sound check, setups. This weekend a group
showed up with a musical saw player in place of their more typical
fiddler.
[ For what it's worth, the rest of that group consisted of a banjo,
mountain dulcimer, guitar, and dog house bass. ]

First time I've ever mic'd a saw! I still don't have a clue about the
radiation pattern of one of these things.

For what it's worth:
I ended up with the mic in front at about handle level pointing up and
slightly in. The mic I had on stage at the time was a beta 57.
Seems I had to pull everything else on stage down to get the saw into
the mix, and even then the level was a little low.

Anyone have any tips on how to mic these things? I'd like to be ready
next time...

Ron Capik
NJ Pinelands Cultural Society
www.AlbertHall.org