Posted to rec.audio.tubes
patrick-turner patrick-turner is offline

Default Luxman SQ38D

On 14 Nov, 11:12, Trevor Wilson
wrote:
On 11/14/2012 10:57 AM, patrick-turner wrote:

On 14 Nov, 06:42, Trevor Wilson
wrote:
On 11/13/2012 7:29 PM, patrick-turner wrote:

On 13 Nov, 11:11, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"Trevor Wilson"

Does anyone have a schematic for a Luxman SQ38D? I mostly require info on
the tone amp section. The one I have has been modified and I need to
restore it to standard.

** The " SQ38D" *was released in Japan in 1965 *- *do you really have one of
them ?

A long series of *" SQ38 " *amps were released including the "SQ-38D" in
1998.

http://www.onahighernote.com/luxman/?c=5&id=45

Earlier models had triode output valves ( 6RA8s ) made in Japan, later ones
uses regular 6BQ5s.

Luxman schems were always near impossible to obtain - certainly so here in
Australia.

.... *Phil

What's wrong with Trevor?

**Nothing wrong with me.

Trevor, you are such a great big fukken dope, you don't know that you
are one, and its been like this all the time I've known you.

I can't and won't help you. Go fix your amp like I've had to fix
dozens, all without schematics.

Just do it.

Patrick Turner

**Thanks for your input Patrick.

I'll ask you one question:

How would YOU go about ascertaining the original values of the
components in a tone amp stage, without access to the original
schematics, parts lists, or even the original parts from the amplifier?

If it makes you happy, continue with your innane insults. For my part, I
asked a reasonable question. I even received a reasonable response from
PA. Your response is nothing short of insane.

Trevor Wilson is an idiot, and one who has always hated having people
tell him he is what he calls others, ie, insane. Since I began
discussing audio tech matters with this idiot in 2002 or therabouts he
has never ever displayed any capability to really understand basic amp
design issues generally, and has never ever designed and built any
amplifier from what he knows alone. Trevor has always paraded his
gross mental disabilities especially when dealing with anything with a
vacuum tube in it. He complains I insult him, but I merely point out
the inconvenient truth about the man.
Trevor has always been extremely stubborn and unable and far too lazy
to understand that one really has to analyse properly when schematics
of gear are unavailable, and also when they are. He fails dismally to
be willing or able to draw up the schematic of a tube amp properly and
confidently and fully, and then make intelligent mods or repairs, and
in conjunction with measuring all voltages and currents and plotting
graphs of F response. AFAIK, there is absolutely nothing at his
website to prove he knows much. Last time I discussed anything at
aus.hi-fi or anywhere else it alsways ended in acrimony because he
would not accept that the CEO ME solid state amps should have been and
should be far more forthcoming with full schematics required for these
very over complicated amps made in Oz until they went broke. Trev
would have needed the schematics because he'd have no idea how to
otherwise proceed. I have fixed a number of SS amps without schemas,
after careful analysis. But I now won't provide any repair service for
any SS amps, because I am rather slow compared to a couple of very
rare good SS techs who are so much better and faster and cheaper than
Trevor will ever be, and besides, I have a huge pile of tube gear to
fix, many speculative projects done for the sake of doing them, and I
have officially retired. So I don't need to learn any more than I have
about SS junk.

I won't be explaining again to Trevor about how to suck eggs. Once is
a enough. Its like explaining to a gum tree how to be a ballerina. I
refuse to assist him in answering his questions while he refuses to
think and consider things himself, in his time, not mine.

All his questions so far are very easy for a good tube amp repairist
to answer. Tube amps are far simpler and easier to understand than
most SS. I refuse to spoonfeed Trevor, but if he travels to a store
selling kitchen gear I am sure he'll find a nice big wooden spoon to
feed himself with, while furiously studying RDH4 and many other books
he should have bought and read. There are umpteen websites out there
full of info for Trevor. He could do a lot worse than read my website
about what's needed in a good tube amp but interpolating my info into
a Luxman without becoming well be-fuddled would probably not be
possible.

I might add its amazing to see that PA has gained some notably worthy
control over his past habits of demolishing stupid ideas and arguments
put forward by Trevor - ad-nausem, or by anyone else, and over many
years. Fact is, many demolitions were very justified and correct
because PA knows far more than most others who have ever stepped a
foot inside this joint. He frightened so many wannabes who liked to
jarg the jargon, with ignorance. As people soon learn here, while I
have little time for fools, I am not perfect, and cannot be perfect,
and I don't mind that I fukkin ain't perfect.

I admit mistakes and my limitations, and with this attitude the
tantrums ppl chuck don't work with me, and nor will petulant whinging.
I will only give credit where its due, and statements of facts need to
be supported, and I can only respect diligence in others as I might
respect it in myself. I would suggest I won't change until I am laying
on a slab somewhere looking like a very nice corpse, ready for a warm
trip uppa chimney someplace.
Patrick Turner.

--
Trevor Wilsonwww.rageaudio.com.au- Hide quoted text -