Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Will SACD die?

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message

On 14 Dec 2007 03:11:12 GMT, Steven Sullivan
wrote:

*IF* the music industry is at all interested in selling
multichannel
music, it would be insane of them NOT to move to these
formats, since
in a relatively few years, everyone will have DVD
players that can play them (unlike SACD and DVD-A).

Mebbe. That's a big IF. I hope we will see some action
soon but, more likely, there will be nothing until/unless
the HD players become common. By then, audio in a
physical medium will probably be gone.

I think you mean to say that it is audio all by itself in a physical media
that will be disappearing.

Audio with video still requires too much data to entirely practical as
downloaded-only. The sticking point of course being the video.

OTOH, I've had a fair amount of fun at times watching downloaded TV shows
from the CBS and NBC web sites. The video quality on some shows is probably
better than NTSC.