Ryan

I'm looking to find out more about writing some software that will use
traditional classical instruments to emulate "natural" or "non musical
sounds." The software will perform some type of analyses on an audio
file, I imagine FFT would be used at some point, but the problem with
FFT is that it only tells you what "perfect" or pure sine wave based
frequencies are present in a sound. Besides the flute, not much else
in an orchestra has anything close to a sine wave output. After this
analysis is done, the software will look through a library of sounds
made by traditional instruments. These sounds will include every
noise and playing style every traditional instrument can produce. The
software will then juggle the sounds around at various dynamic levels
in various rhythms and etc until it comes up with the closest
combination to the original sound. Perhaps a car engine sound file
would yield three Double Basses, a flute or two in very quiet
irregular rhythms, and maybe a horn would be involved during gear
changes.

(The Ghost) wrote in message . com...
(Ryan) wrote in message . com...

Well, you and I have no bad blood between us, Ghost. What's your take
on this whole idea?

I don't have time at this moment to backtrack and read the entire
thread. So, if you have a specific question, please (re)state it in
as concise terms as possible, and I will answer it if I feel that I am
qualified to do so. If not, I will do my best to refer you to someone
who can.