Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Hi Rez digital vs. LP

"Robert Peirce" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

I have just begun to convert some LPs to 192/24 digital files using
PureVinyl and a TC Impact Twin.

What a cornucopia of highly audible software and hardware EFX processors!

My first thought is that you must really dislike the sound of vinyl to
feel
the need for signal-massaging power on the scale encouraged by these
products.

Marketing-wise these products seem to be tearing themselves apart. One
part
hypes super-accurate processing with zillions of bits and samples, and
another part is designed to bend sound like a pretzel.

I think, perhaps, you are missing my point. I am not using any of the
many "features" on the Impact Twin, just its DAC capability. I use the
mic input directly from the TT output, convert to digital and store in a
file on my computer. It is much like using a pre-amp with all the tone
controls deactivated.

Please note that I specifically addressed how these products are being
marketed.

I made no prognostications about how you were using them.

I did post my first reactions, because that is what happened when I read
your post and checked out the equipment.

I applaud your avoidance of all the questioanble bells and whistles.

IME far simpler and economical hardware and software can provide equivalent
results when the signal processing is not used.

I use PureVinyl to create the file and to edit the tracks and track
names. It does nothing to what is in the file itself once it is
created. I use PureMusic to play it back with RIAA equalization done in
software. There might be some argument about whether that is better or
worse than doing it in hardware. I don't really want to start that
discussion because I don't know.

As a rule doing the RIAA equalization in certain hardware configurations
delivers the best dynamic range from a given set of pre amplier stage(s).
But it may or may not make an audible difference either way.

As far as I know, playing an LP, without saving the output to a file, is
neither unique nor exceptional. It is just something you can do. My
point was that playing the LP directly and playing the file produced
from playing the LP sounded the same when using the same device. My
feeling was that might not happen if you used different, unequal,
devices for one versus the other.

Probably true.

Whether I hate or love LPs is irrelevant. I probably have about the
same number of LPs as I have CDs and I have a lot of both. In my
experience, both media can produce wonderful and terrible reproductions.
However, I am planning to move to a much smaller space and there are
advantages to getting everything into a computer based music server.

In the case of LPs, digital transcriptions save wear and tear on the analog
media, some of which may be irreplaceable.