Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Howard Stone Howard Stone is offline

Default Ways to make speakers go anywhere.

The speakers I have are really annoying because, to get them sounding as good as they should, they need to be positioned in places I don't want them to be. 1m from walls etc.

I want my speakers low down and unobtrusive, or high up on bookshelves. I want them hiding away in corners and right up against walls. And I want speakers which are flexible, which can be moved anywhere.

Are there any solutions to this problem? Solutions I can implement myself without taking a degree in acoustics?

Here's an idea. Can I use DSPs to compensate for all the bass boom I get out of classic speakers if I put them where I want them to be rather than where they want to be? And can I do it simply and affordably?

This is the biggest weakness of classic speakers IMO, and why Quad, Rogers, Spendor etc really don't give people what they want. I'm hoping that 21st century technology will come to the rescue.