Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Best digital music recording program

On 08/12/2014 15:53, Tom Evans wrote:
Thanks, John.

If Audacity isn't better than Garageband, I won't bother to learn Audacity.

It already took me a lot of work and time to learn Garageband, so if I
swtich programs, I want to learn a program that's vastly superior to
Garageband.

There's no point in investing time and effort into learning a program
that does the same things that my current program can do.

Think of Garageband as a nice, mature piece of cheddar cheese. Think of
Audacity as some nice pickle. Neither of them on their own will make the
perfect sandwich. Put both together, and the sandwich is more than the
sum of its parts. The bread is, of course, the music, and if that's
good, then it's hard to make a bad sandwich. If the bread's bad, then no
amount of cheese or pickle will make it a good sandwich. There are
things that Garageband does well that Audacity doesn't, and vice versa.
To get the best out of your music, you need to know how both programs
work, and which does what best.

I use Audacity and Adobe Audition for recording and editing, mostly. If,
on the other hand, I just want to glue a few loops together for a quick
and dirty soundbite, I use a program that does only that, and does it
very well indeed. then I tidy the result up using the tools in Audition.
Or maybe Audacity, depending on my mood.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.