Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default PWR transformer for a Sherwood S-5000

On Sunday, August 2, 2015 at 2:33:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:

New guy. Desperate for help.
The post about restoring the Sherwood S-5000 caught my eye.
I sure would like to do that, but....
My poor amp has a blown power transformer.
Any ideas on a replacement?

It would be helpful to know the make/model/condition of your amp. And what specific part of the PT that is blown, if known. For instance, if the primary winding is bad, then it is pretty much hopeless, as with the B+ winding(s). But if it is a filament winding (6.3V or 5V) you may be able to install a separate filament transformer.

If you have any of several Dynaco products, OEM replacements are still being made, less so for other brands, but still out there.

And, of course, are the usual transformer builders such as Hammond and others that have both a range of replacement transformers and will even make one for you at a reasonable price, especially if it is already templated.

Lastly, there are transformer rewinders out there that do a fairly credible job with units that may not be otherwise available. Just look up "Transformer Rewinding Service" and take your pick.

Best of luck with it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA