Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default Stereophonic Realism - a Tautology

In article ,
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

Donald White wrote:
On 4/22/2013 7:34 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
KH wrote:

3-D pattern, 2-D signal.

While I have read this news group for some time and Keith can surely
answer for himself, I don't think the 3-Ds he is referring to are
spacial dimensions. The three are time, amplitude and direction. Of
these the microphone captures only time and amplitude which are are
the contents of the 2-D signal.

Don

Well, that's different! I'm sure Keith can answer for himself on this one,
but I would say that the 3D means the same as the Greek derivation of
"stereophonic," or "solid," three dimensional as opposed to flat, two
dimensional, width only.

Gary Eickmeier

That's correct. Three dimensional sound has width, depth and height.