Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Stereophonic Realism - a Tautology

"Audio_Empire" wrote in message

I suspect that High-End audio will largely
die with us baby-boomers and older folks.

As you seem to define high end audio, yes. As it morphs, not so much.

Apparently, except for a very
few, the younger generations don't view music the way our generation
views it.

Just sitting down and listening to just recorded music and doing nothing
else as a preferred activity will largely die with our generation.

Listening to music has become an "and" process instead of an "or" process.
People now listen to music as they do something else, and that something
else may be the main activity that is getting their primary attention. So,
the experience is music and, and not so much music or.

They might say that they love music, but what they actually do
love are the songs that belong to their generation.

No difference there! ;-)

W'se all do that to
a certain extent, But I have friends in their 40's, 30's 20 and I know
some of their teen offspring. They don't understand my love of music.

Read what follows. What they don't follow is how you express your love of
music.

"How come you spend tens-of thousands of dollars on playback equipment
when all you need is an iPod and a pair of ear-buds?" They don't get the
idea of playback quality at all.

The error here is the lack of affirmation of the true knowledge that a good
digital player and a fine pair of headphones or earphones can be as accurate
and enveloping or even more so than the dedicated room and jillions of
dollars worth of racks and boxes of equipment.

One friend, in his 40's, once told me
that while he could appreciate the sound from my system, he felt that he
didn't need that because he could hear what he was *interested* in with
his little pre-packaged video surround system. Depressing.

The physical size and cost that equipment has to have in order to be
enveloping and accurate has decreased significantly. A Sansa Clip and a
pair of Sony XBA-2 earphones (for example) should not be pooh-poohed in the
way that many seem prone to do.