Arny Krueger

Default Newbie Subwoofer questions

"Rusty Boudreaux" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

The design guidelines spell out in no uncertain terms that the
LFE channel must be summed with the full range channels first and
then LPF. Therefore, any content in the LFE channel above the
crossover frequency will be attenuated in the subwoofer output.

I don't read "attenuated" as "lost". I guess that's a matter of
personal interpretation.

"lost" was a poor choice of words on my part.

Anyway, thanks for the recital of the THX standard. You may have also
explained why I've never really had the stereo/HT compatibility problems
reported by others.

Of course something ridiculous like setting the preamp crossover
at 30Hz would knock the upper end of the LFE down
by -48dB...which is pretty close to being lost.

Using a 58 Hz subwoofer crossover as I do would have been pretty suboptimal,
except for the somewhat nonstandard way I implemented it.