William Sommerwerck

Default Any difference between cheapo CD players and super expensive high end cd players?

There are sonic differences, though whether they're important to you is a
different matter. And there is no guarantee that expensive player A is sonically
superior to moderately priced player B.

Sometimes cheaper is better.

I recently switched from a $4000 CD transport and $4000 DAC to a $3000 Sony SACD
player (which also plays regular CDs). It was like getting a whole new CD
collection. Most of the hardness and brightness associated (rightly or wrongly)
with CDs vanished. There was also a significant reduction in the overall
"mechanical" quality of the sound.

Guitarboy wrote...

I know a guy that just got a $1500 CD player. I mean i don't know
about you but while I understand purchasing an expensive turntable
and cartridge I have never heard any difference between CD players.
If there were a difference wouldn't you see some of these high-priced
CD players poping up in high end studios? all i ever see are consumer
models. just wondering.