Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.pro
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default another puzzler

In article ,
Bill Graham wrote:

I claqim there are two games. In the first game, you go to the studio, pick
a door, and then go home to wait and see if they call you and tell you that
you either won or lost. Your odds are only 1/3 of winning this game. But if
you play the second game, then you go to the studio and mess around until
the host opens up a door and shown you the donkey behind it. then you can
play the game with 50-50 odds of winning. The only thing I have trouble
explaining is why, in order to play this second game with the better odds,
you have to switch doors. But, in fact, you do have to switch in order to
switch games and take advantage of the better odds.

Yup.

The distinction between the two games is based on the amount of
information available to you at the moment you make your final decision.

In the first game, the only information you have is that every door
available to you to choose has a 1/3 chance of being correct.

In the second game, additional information is given to you by the
host, after you make your initial decision and before you make your
second one. "The prize is *not* behind that door over there."

Actually, you don't *have* to switch doors to "play the second game".
You're playing it from the moment the host gives you this extra
information. It's just that if you ignore this extra information, and
*think* you're still playing the first game (as many people do), you
are more likely than not to make a poor choice in the decision you
make in this second game.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO