Joe

Default "High Power" Head Unit to Power Separates?

If high sound levels aren't required, that might not be true.
Assuming that each setup won't be pushed to distortion, decent
speakers driven by 15 watts per channel RMS will probably sound better
than so-so speakers driven by 40 watts per channel RMS.

Regards,
Joe

"Mark Zarella" wrote in
:

Then I suggest you rearrange your priorities. You're talking about
a/d/s/ and MB speakers which both cost a lot, but not a $100 amp? A
set of mid-level speakers running off an amplifier will sound better
than the best speakers in the world running off the HU.

--

"Davey V" wrote in message
Only ruling out an amp for now because I don't have time and funds
to do

it
the right way. Which separates are you thinking of that would work
well

in
this application?

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
I'm upgrading my BMW ('5 540i) factory head unit to a Kenwood

KDC-X869,
which has "high power."

"High power" apparently means ~15 watts per channel, which is
what head units produce.

Would my system sound better than stock if I used
the new head unit's amp and some high quality separates (e.g.
MB

Quart,
a/d/s, etc.) or is the internal amp inadequate to power this
category

of
speaker?

It may or may not sound better than stock (depends on how stock
sounds I guess). It probably will sound better.

Are there separates that are particularly effiicient and
designed for to run of a hu?

Yes. Why are you ruling out an amp?