Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jim Landers

Default EL84(6BQ5) Canadian-made Mullard tubes made for Rogers.

Doug Bannard wrote:

wrote:
Canada? Mullard?

To my knowledge, Canada made no tubes whatsoever. With all due respect
to our northern neighbors. As I understand it, Philips was the tube
maker.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Rogers actually built all of their own vacuum tubes in Toronto, Ontario
until they were bought by Philips in the 1950s. The 6BQ5s under
discussion would have been supplied by Philips and are probably marked
"Holland" on their envelopes. These should be high quality tubes in my
own experience.

There were actually several other Canadian tube manufacturers such as
CMC (Canadian Marconi Co.), RVC (Radio Valve Corporation whose tubes
were sold under their own brand as well as under the GE and Westinghouse
brands in Canada), and Meyers ( a Toronto firm involved in tube design
and manufacture in the '20s). I have no doubt forgotten others.

Doug Bannard,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Thank you for the insight, Doug. It's helpful and much appreciated. jrl