Mike Rivers

In article writes:

One assumes that if you're at a concert listening to the band, you can
determine whether you want to support the band through a $15 purchase.

Actually one assumes that paying the admission price is supporting the
band.

Obviously the point is that one simply can't make music and put it up on the
net and make money.

Not as a general case, but there are some people who are doing that.
The rare few make a real living at it (usually they have already done
the grunt work over the past 20 years to establish themselves and now
do a little touring) - Tom Rush is a good example, someone who went
the DIY route even before web sites were common.

But the chances of a total unknown putting music up on a web site and
making a living selling it are very tiny, no matter how good the music
is. But even the relatively small effort to send promo copies to
appropriate publishers who will give it a mention can help.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )