Roger W. Norman

"Bob Olhsson" wrote in message
Except that putting somebody's name on the map is hardly a trivial
accomplishment as opposed to not being any significant part of the "work."

Depends on how big the "map" is. Obviously, with her three records, and
Enja's support, she actually lost money, so I agree with her on the point
that someone else isn't really doing their job and she could probably do it
just as well. Obviously she didn't say that, but the implication is that an
artist signed to a contract shouldn't be losing money on producing albums.
Maybe they don't make money if sales are dismal, but geez, I can lose money
without any help from an outside "partner"! g Especially when they
recover something with each sale and I have to wait until they recover all
their money.

But I agree with you in situations other than this specific one. In the
process of signing a contract, one should obviously be looking very hard at
just how well a label is capable of helping increase the size of the "map".
It's just common sense that a region can only support so many live
performances that most artists would need to be doing to make their daily
bread. In a composer's life, that's not even a possibility, or certainly
far removed from a local band trying to spread into the next state or into
the next major metropolitan area. And I think it's one of the reasons that
there's no real way to expect a label to do promotions that work for a tour
capable band vs. signing an award winning composer and arranger. Their
market is different and the route toward supporting that difference is
pretty hard to accomplish. I don't remember Marvin Hamlisch touring, and
god knows, if he does I've never been one of the first standing in line for
his tickets! g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 12:19:21 -0400, wrote
(in article ):

"I can't really complain about Enja," she said. "They put my

name
on
the map. But there are so many pieces of the pie to slice up for

the
record company, the distributor, the record stores that there's
nothing left for the person who did all the work: me."

That's it in a nut shell. If you are wed to the old process, making it

can
be
more difficult than if you're building something new.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051