Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Multiple spaces in recordings

On 13/04/2019 1:52 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Trevor wrote:
Even sadder when people claim listening to an acoustic performance in a
good concert hall is nirvana, without ever acknowledging how different
it sounds in the front row Vs the back row, somewhere in the middle, or
the conductors position! And that's without comparing the same orchestra
playing the same piece in a completely different hall.

But this is part of what is so great about acoustic performances! You can
sit where you want.

Well wherever you ticket (or job) allows you to sit. Often not in the
optimum position, especially if you think the conductors spot is the
best! (assuming you are not the conductor :-)
Then there is still the issue of which hall.

I always laugh
when people think there is some TRUE sound that must be obtained, rather
than simply enjoy the music. Sometimes it's hard to enjoy if the sound
is absolutely terrible, but much of the time it's just different.

Well, it's my job to worry about that sound. I get paid for it, so I tend
to take it seriously. I tend to like to sit in the balcony and like
recordings that sound that way, but a lot of producers want it to sound
much more forward. That's okay, I can accomodate them.

My job too, and I'm paid to accommodate them. For my personal listening
I prefer more forward than the balcony, so that's my point exactly.
Everyone has a different concept of what is optimum. Even musicians and
music professionals.