Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Default trying to match my voice to existing recording with Audacity

On 3/19/19 9:32 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/19/2019 8:52 AM, JBI wrote:
How can I better match my vocal speed/ tempo to hers in Audacity?Â* I
have tried rerecording myself a couple of times, but there are still
plenty of parts where phrasing doesn't match.

Two things -

1. Learn the song. REALLY learn the song. Understand what it's about and
what the singer was thinking when she sang it.

2. Practice

This isn't something that technology can help. Even if you split your
vocal up into individual words, or even syllables, and went through the
process of pasting together a vocal track to match up exactly with the
existing one (this might also involve some time stretching or
shortening), without really working at it, your inflections would be
different.

I think that a more productive exercise for the long run would be to
make a new vocal track of your own, putting your own feeling into it,
and seeing if you like that as much, or maybe more, than the original.
Some "vocal eliminator" software works remarkably well on the right
material so you can start off without trying to follow someone who has
put her own spin on the vocal.

Thanks. For vocal elimination, which would have been ideal and much
easier to work with, I found out that the song wasn't recorded in a way
to benefit from it and apparently there are no online instrumental only
versions available. I suppose I should have posted the song originally
and this is it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BL06fxHPVo

Trying to eliminate or reduce the vocal in Audacity, in any version I
was able to find, results in virtually no affect and the analyzer
reports that this is basically stereo with two identical channels.

I thought it would be simple, but I'm finding it very difficult to match
her vocal. I did try cutting and changing with time stretching, but I
have to do this way too much.

I suppose the only way will be to more precisely try singing to her
voice.