Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default I Bit The Bullet...

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 5:33:43 PM UTC-4, UnsteadyKen wrote:
In article ,
says...
Maybe Sennheiser sends a service technician along to solder in
the new, professional grade cord!!

No need. Many; if not most Sennneisers have plug in cables which makes
replacement easy, and they carry spares for years. I currently have a
pair of 598s and judging by the UK Sennheiser spares site, it looks as
though you could just about build a complete set from the available
spare parts.
http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co...dphones/hd-598

The only time I've been unable to get Sennheisers back on the road was
when the dog chewed a pair of HD414s in the mid 70s.

I currently have 4 pairs of phones, the 598s which are very comfortable.
I use these for general TV type listening, driven by a Yamaha receiver
https://goo.gl/pgzcNu
or a Denon USB DAC/headphone amp.
http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/hifi/dac/da300usb.

When I really want to hear what is on a disc I have a pair of Grado
SR80es
http://www.gradolabs.com/headphones/...s/item/1-sr80e
these are used with a TEAC A500i mini integrated amp
http://www.hifidatabase.com/Detailed...H500i_4728.php
Really excellent sound if a bit hard to drive, hence the TEAC amp.
You would like these phones, made by good ole boys in the USA, and from
a company with a long history of well regarded audio products,
wspecially phono cartridges.

Other phones are a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 Chinese copies
http://www.micsdirect.com/isk_hf2010.htm
These sound good, are comfortable and very sturdy, which they need to be
as I use these for listening to radio in bed and they are liable to be
slept on regularly.

Also some Audio-Technica ATH-TD400s
http://eu.audio-technica.com/headphones/hifi/ATH-TAD400
Mostly used with a second CD system in the bedroom.

Note they are all open or semi-open phones, I just can't get on with
closed back sets, the bass and lower mid range never sound quite right
to me.

Wait a cotton picking second! I THOUGHT I was the only one on this planet called Earth who listened to music, via headphones, while falling to sleep!
Why I use my Sony's, no split "Y" cord to choke me to death, sleeping forever!

A nice, informative post. Salute!

I do have a pair of Audio Technica's (little less $$ than the Sony's) that I really never gave a fair trial run.

Grado's, huh? Made in NY, I think. BUT, for the LONGEST time, the "SPL 1mW: 99.8 dB" would make me turn my head to something else.

I'm not a big fan, JUST because it's "Made in The USA". I see social media being used for marketing hype (pay people to brag). There was a time in America when a fan engineer needed a .1 HP motor, but used a .25 HP because it was more standard, and squeezing out ever cent was not a major concern. I have an older (GM) Buick. A Firestone mechanic said to me, "Sir, they didn't make 'em like this anymore!"
Mom had a GM designed/built washing machine, vertical agitation. Thought it was fail prematurely, but it lasted forever w/o a drop of maintenance.
You've seen these TV commercials, lots of lies...
http://www.reviewbeforeyoubuyit.com/atomic-beam/
.... I'm a BIG fan of LED. Most are Lumens rated.

Looking at shortwave radios (to purchase), some claimed one model better than popular Sony, and Grundig (and/or whoever). Guess what, Made in China (Tecsun brand). Showed it to a coworker, he said that was the brand his professor said to purchase (guess they listened to shortwave for US activity).

You ever wish you could salute some of your heros, but never thought you'd have the opportunity? Well, Walter Jung (author) was one who I was able to, a couple decades later, thank him for his Op-Amp Phono cartridge premplifier, audiophile quality, I built from scratch!
http://waltjung.org/

Oh, and my computer programing (book) hero. Searching for audio related information and I find he too is involved in Audio!...
http://ethanwiner.com/

Anyway, glad your dog approved of the Sennheiser taste!

Be well.

Jack