Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default 0dBFS+ Levels in Digital Mastering

On 13/10/2015 3:23 a.m., Trevor wrote:
On 13/10/2015 12:25 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
geoff wrote:
No CD that I've purchased in the last decade exhibit clipping that I've
noticed, though a few are over-compressed to hell (not many
fortunately). And some I've been prompted to actually check ! Not much
'current' pop though I concede.

The problem is that in the digital world, clipping is whatever you
define
it as. I tend to set metering so three consecutive FS samples light the
over light, and so that is clipping.

No, you first have to normalise the gain back to 0dBFS for that to
work since many CD's are first *severely clipped* then normalised to
about -0.3dBFS, so your clip lights will never come on. BUT the flat
tops remain regardless!

Aggressive limiting that flat-tops the signal isn't necessarily
clipping,
it's just aggressive limiting.

Rubbish, peak limiting that causes flat tops IS clipping. YOU simply
don't understand what they have done, or the difference between
compression and limiting it seems.

I think this is the only thing where we really disagree. The rest of
your debate seems hair-splitting about definitions of terms.

I say that 'clipping' is only the result of a digital or analogue
*overload*, where the actual mathematical or electrical constraints of
the process are exceeded and nothing can exist above. Fuzz box !

'Limiting' is the *controlled* result of a digital or analogue process.
And yes, that can be extreme to the point of resembling clipping, but is
not the same thing.

Achieving, or adding to, limiting by clipping (sadly) is done,
presumably by those who are incompetent, lack understanding of the
implications, or have cynical intent.

geoff