Chelvam

Default Comparative High-End Tube Amp Costs - Then and Now

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the reply.

I read your article with interest but I may have to disagree with your
generalization that p/w has increased compared to 20 or 30 years ago. If
your are comparing tube Amps than it may be so due to the fact that mass
production of tube by GE and Japanese company had stopped long time ago.
However, if you do a comparison about solid state than I believe the prices
has generally gone down but due to other additions such as remote control
and gold plated RCA and silver wiring the pricing generally higher by
comparison than those days.

There is also the issue of better power supply now than 30 years which
maybe more expensive than those days. If possible look at solid state Amps
and try to draw a similar chart . It may not be easy because they have
gradually added other stuff like digital volume control which can make a
fair comparison very difficult. However, my friend who is well versed in
electronic stuff estimated that a hybrid Amp of first class should cost
about US500 -1000 DIY. I am talking about the parts only and no labor
costs included. Of course if you add silvers and gold to the make up it may
double or triple the price.

The other stuff like isolated power supply, separate housing for components
and Teflon layers to prevent EMI make everything just more expensive. Just
like cars. Horse power/price comparison can hardly be accurate.

Thanks and Regards.