Keith G

Default Comparative High-End Tube Amp Costs - Then and Now

"Michael Squires" wrote in message
newscPrb.118765$275.344439@attbi_s53...
In article rHFrb.117831$9E1.581678@attbi_s52,
Harry Lavo wrote:
Hi group -

The recurrent discussion here about whether the high-end is a rip off and
the recent discussion about "then and now" output amps led me to do a

little
research. I was trained as an economist, so I have my "quirks", one of

Old Amps (in order of ascending price) in 2002 dollars:

Eico HF89 (50wpc) $839 ($8.39dpw)
Pr. Dynaco Mk III (60wpc) $1203 ($7.52dpw)

One problem with the analysis is that Dyna and to a lesser extent Eico
were discounted, and the Dyna equipment was almost always sold as the
less expensive kit. The other manufacturer's equipment was rarely
discounted.

I also wonder if utility was linear with money, since I didn't think
twice about buying a MKIII kit but would think many times
before paying $1203 today for any amplifier.

Hah! Mk IIIs might be 'run of the mill' in the US and piled on every street
corner but they cost serious wedge here in the UK. I paid 800 quid for a
pair of immaculate ones - 6550s and unmodded, save only to run on 240v!!

Worth it? Oh yuss, 60 wpc valves don't come any cheaper than that over here
and I love the sound of 'em anyway!