Posted to rec.audio.high-end
John Pluta John Pluta is offline

Default Amplifier Question

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 9:48:06 AM UTC-5, Kele wrote:
I have an amp running two subwoofers from two of its five channels. The =

amps channels are 100 watts each (damping factor 1000 per channel). Both f=
ormally self-powered subs' panel amps are shot so I am running them as dumb=
sealed enclosure speakers. My preamp is acting as the low-pass filter to =
the subs. I have no idea what the sensitivity rating is of each sub speake=
r, but they are both 8ohm. It sounds great... maybe as good as their origi=
nal amps.
=20
I have two ways of adjusting the volume for the subs: 1) Via the Pre-amp=

's calibration level for the Sub+L/R channel, and 2) via potentiometer pots=
on each channel at the (separates) amplifier. The amp's instruction manua=
l states the "0" position (no attenuation) is normal but provides level red=
uction pots just incase.
=20
My question has do with wanting to make life as easy as possible for the =

amplifier driving two subs (+ a center and two rears). Currently I have re=
duced the preamp's output for the subs by minus 8db, and have the amp volum=
e pots at max (one pot about 20% less to balance that sub's sound in the ro=
om). Would it be more beneficial for the amp to work less hard by boosting=
the sub signal out of the preamp and use the amp's pots to lower the sub l=
evels to mate with mains and the room?
=20
Hope this makes sense...
=20
Kele

Actually here is the best way to do it. I was in the same boat. I have a 5 =
channel surround amp (a Carver AV-705x). It ran 2 surround speakers and 1 s=
ubwoofer. I have a pair of Quicksilver V4's running the front channels. My =
Carver had rear pots for each channel. I had someone remove them with the i=
dea that less is more as well as a shorter path. It was correct and the sou=
nd improved immediately.

If your preamp has 2 outputs, run your fronts from 1st output and the other=
speakers from the 2nd. BTW, running 2 or 3 channels of a 100 watt surround=
amp should not place much strain on it.=20

Another choice is to get a X-over for the sub amp and run it into a 2nd pre=
amp output as well. Still another way is to get a used/inexpensive surround=
preamp like a Sherbourn or Emotiva. That way you can use the multi-channel=
outputs and run them into your input on your preamp (say video).

John=20