Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default 0VU =\ -18dBfs? Take it up with these guys:

Mike Rivers wrote:

On 9/12/2014 9:48 PM, wrote:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep1...s/qa0910-1.htm

Why must I leave this wonderful newsgroup to read an article on a web
page just to find out what your question or comment is about?

Do you have a question? If so, here's the answer:

Together those two sentences are a work of genius here and now.

With digital recording, you, and nobody else (unless there's no knob)
decides how much headroom you want. You make that headroom by adjusting
the input gain of the A/D converter device so that with your nominal
analog level going in (say +4 dBu), the meter reads downscale by the
number of dB of headroom that you want (say -20).

Two things:

1. If there's no input level control, you're stuck with whatever you get

2. You can't make headroom that isn't there. If the maximum output level
of your source, say a mic preamp, is, say +18 dBu, the best you can do
is set the input level control so that your maximum output level reads 0
dBFS and forget about a "standard" operating level (+4 dBu).

And a third thing: Don't let those Brits confuse you. If you don't use
PPMs, stick to a meter scale that you sort of understand.

I suspect we have a case of still learning to understand the metering
represented by traffic lights.

And remember,
"0 VU" can be any level you want, but
"+4 dBu" is the same the world around.

None of which means anything at all to the OP.

Carry on.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com