View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
external usenet poster

Default Amplifier Question

On 2/16/2014 9:48 AM, Kele wrote:
I have an amp running two subwoofers from two of its five channels. The amps channels are 100 watts each (damping factor 1000 per channel). Both formally self-powered subs' panel amps are shot so I am running them as dumb sealed enclosure speakers. My preamp is acting as the low-pass filter to the subs. I have no idea what the sensitivity rating is of each sub speaker, but they are both 8ohm. It sounds great... maybe as good as their original amps.

I have two ways of adjusting the volume for the subs: 1) Via the Pre-amp's calibration level for the Sub+L/R channel, and 2) via potentiometer pots on each channel at the (separates) amplifier. The amp's instruction manual states the "0" position (no attenuation) is normal but provides level reduction pots just incase.

My question has do with wanting to make life as easy as possible for the amplifier driving two subs (+ a center and two rears). Currently I have reduced the preamp's output for the subs by minus 8db, and have the amp volume pots at max (one pot about 20% less to balance that sub's sound in the room). Would it be more beneficial for the amp to work less hard by boosting the sub signal out of the preamp and use the amp's pots to lower the sub levels to mate with mains and the room?

Hope this makes sense...

Kele

Ah, an interesting arrangement. Because the energy output to the subs
is the same either way, I think it makes no difference. On the other
hand, if I was ever a hi-fi expert it was in another life.

bob

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com