Posted to rec.audio.high-end
KH KH is offline

Default The future of "high end" audio

On 12/1/2013 8:15 AM, Scott wrote:
On Saturday, November 30, 2013 5:22:52 AM UTC-8, KH wrote:
On 11/28/2013 8:27 AM, ScottW wrote:

I think you're kind of missing the bigger picture here.

he wasn't addressing any "big picture" he was addressing the assertion that current portable audio systems have bridged the gap between high end audio. Something you seem to agree has not actually happened.

Actually I was referring to the bigger picture relative to mounting a
"PR" campaign to convert the iPod generation. Which really has as much
to do with "culture" as it does with sound differential IME.

And no, I don't think headphone type devices are capable of fully
"bridging the gap" irrespective of source. But I didn't "grow up" with
headphone stereo either.

snip

But that's the thing; I don't think you will ever convince millenials
that they *need* high dollar audio gear. The iPod level gear they've
grown up with is not *so* far away from "good stereo" that they are
blown away (as I was, and you likely were) when they first hear one.
They are also used to a different musical environment, the convenience,
the streaming, etc., that simply wasn't a part of "our" equation.

In their world, they have to give up a lot to get that improvement in
sound. And most pop recordings don't allow for a huge difference in
quality either. So what's the "hook"? I don't see one, not for the
young folks I know.

There is no hook. It is as it has always been. Audiophiles are the exception not the rule. But one has to know high end audio even exists to actually get into it. That has always been the issue for that market. There are no more or less potential audiophiles amongst today's youth than in the past. But there are some.

Based on the young folks I know, I think you are incorrect. The numbers
are shrinking because of lifestyle issues as well as cost, AND the
shrinking disparity between cheap, modest, and over the top systems.

snip

Yes, but iPods don't sound like crap, or needn't anyway, and that's the
big difference. The Apple earbuds do, but that's another issue. You
may not like earbuds, and I don't use them except when traveling, but
the quality is simply orders of magnitude better than the "brown-goods"
junk I grew up with.

But it still aint high end audio.

Not the point.

Are you seriously going to try to equate the sound from an ipod to a classic console with BSR/ceramic cart groove grinder?

Seems like you just did that yourself in your last sentence.

You forgot about the penny taped to the headshell...

We had a Magnavox Mediterranean console big enough to bury a Hippo in.
Five bucks worth of electronics and the BSR etch-a-sketch. Boy could
that thing rattle. Gimme earbuds any day.

Not sure I see your point here? Are you suggesting that today's consumers are not interested in current high end audio because earbuds sound better than consoles from the 60's?

I stated that *concept* rather explicitly several times, yes.

The whole "Console" craze merely being an example that it's not always
about money alone - they were expensive - but also about style and
culture issues as well.

Reality is people every where are listening to great sounding audio and the gap between the absolute best and consumer grade "brown-goods" ipods has shrunk to near nothing.

Well I certainly don't think you can go that far.

And that was the point of contention that Audio Empire made.

Yes, and that was me agreeing with him...up to a point.

There's still a huge
difference IMO. BUT, and it's a Huge BUT, for a Millenial that
improvement also requires a significant sacrifice in lifestyle - over
and above money - that we never experienced. It was ALL upside for us
as long as we had the cash.

Completely agreed.

I'm not sure you do...

And that is the difference between the audiophile who pursues high end audio and the average Joe that Audio Empire is talking about

My point is that the "average Joe" of yesteryear was a different animal
than today's "Joe", and there area a myriad more differences that are
not related to money or sound quality. Add to that a shrinking audio
quality gap, and the audiophile recruiting pool shallows even further.

Keith