Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default The future of "high end" audio

On Saturday, November 30, 2013 5:22:52 AM UTC-8, KH wrote:
On 11/28/2013 8:27 AM, ScottW wrote:
=20
On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:35:32 PM UTC-8, Audio_Empire wrote:

=20
On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:51:01 AM UTC-8, ScottW wrote:

=20

=20
On Monday, November 25, 2013 4:38:37 PM UTC-8, Audio_Empire wrote:

=20

=20
But we part company when you start comparing iPod and iPod-like devi=

ces and ear-buds favorably with a good stereo system.
=20

=20
=20
=20
I think you're kind of missing the bigger picture here.

he wasn't addressing any "big picture" he was addressing the assertion that=
current portable audio systems have bridged the gap between high end audio=
.. Something you seem to agree has not actually happened.

An iPod and=20
=20
earphones are a much better "stereo system" than *I* grew up with. It=20
=20
was an easily understandable desire, in our formative days, to want a=20
=20
better 'standard' stereo system than we actually had. The difference=20
=20
between "typical" and "good" stereo systems was simply enormous. At=20
=20
least in my neighborhood.
=20
=20
=20
snip
=20

=20
Maybe such a playback is satisfying to you, but I know many audiophi=

les including myself, that
=20
would not find these portable devices anything more than a convenie=

nt way to carry their music with them when they need to do so.
=20
=20
=20
I don't understand your point here. If you don't find these 'portable=20
=20
devices' satisfying - at the time and place you use them - then why use=

=20
=20
them, convenient or not? They are not, to me, *as* satisfying as my home=

=20
=20
system is, but they are orders of magnitude more satisfying than the=20
=20
dreck I grew up listening to.

Since Audio Empire has made it clear that he doesn't use them it is kind of=
odd to ask him why he uses them.=20
=20
=20
=20
There is another area where earphones (any of them) are less capable, =

and that's comfort.
=20
=20
=20
Have to agree there.
=20
=20
=20
snip
=20
=20
=20
As Scott said, it is the golden age of hi-fi. It's just not the era o=

f big $$ hi-fi. Convincing young
=20
people they need to spend big $$ on audio gear is going to take an ad=

campaign equal to the one the
=20
gov't is waging to convince them to buy overpriced health insurance.

=20
=20
=20
But that's the thing; I don't think you will ever convince millenials=20
=20
that they *need* high dollar audio gear. The iPod level gear they've=20
=20
grown up with is not *so* far away from "good stereo" that they are=20
=20
blown away (as I was, and you likely were) when they first hear one.=20
=20
They are also used to a different musical environment, the convenience,=

=20
=20
the streaming, etc., that simply wasn't a part of "our" equation.
=20
=20
=20
In their world, they have to give up a lot to get that improvement in=20
=20
sound. And most pop recordings don't allow for a huge difference in=20
=20
quality either. So what's the "hook"? I don't see one, not for the=20
=20
young folks I know.

There is no hook. It is as it has always been. Audiophiles are the exceptio=
n not the rule. But one has to know high end audio even exists to actually =
get into it. That has always been the issue for that market. There are no m=
ore or less potential audiophiles amongst today's youth than in the past. B=
ut there are some.
=20
=20
=20

=20
But the average joe has NEVER been into hi-fi.

=20

=20
No...the average younger joe has grownup with hi-fi to the point they t=

ake it for granted. Big $$ systems aren't going to give them any appreciab=
le value.
=20

=20
When I was a teen and just getting into the hobby, I knew only one guy=

, a tech-rep friend of my dads who was into Hi-Fi and had a decent system.
=20

=20
I knew a number of people who loved music, including my high-school mu=

sic teacher. They all had, what we called in those days, "brown-goods" hi-f=
is and stereos.
=20
These were consoles or luggage finished portables that had flea-Watt, =

single-ended amplifiers, tiny output transformers and cheap, stamped-basket=
speakers with
=20
one-ounce magnets. They sounded terrible, but that's what most people =

bought.
=20
=20
=20
Very true. But that's the point...they sounded *terrible*! That was=20
=20
*our* baseline for comparison. We all knew they sounded like crap, but=

=20
=20
that's what we had.
=20
=20
=20
The only difference between today and then, is those same types of peo=

ple now buy iPods instead of brown-goods.
=20
=20
=20
Yes, but iPods don't sound like crap, or needn't anyway, and that's the=

=20
=20
big difference. The Apple earbuds do, but that's another issue. You=20
=20
may not like earbuds, and I don't use them except when traveling, but=20
=20
the quality is simply orders of magnitude better than the "brown-goods"=

=20
=20
junk I grew up with.

But it still aint high end audio.=20
=20
=20
=20

=20
Are you seriously going to try to equate the sound from an ipod to a cl=

assic console with BSR/ceramic cart groove grinder?
=20
=20
=20
You forgot about the penny taped to the headshell...
=20
=20
=20
We had a Magnavox Mediterranean console big enough to bury a Hippo in.=20
=20
Five bucks worth of electronics and the BSR etch-a-sketch. Boy could=20
=20
that thing rattle. Gimme earbuds any day.

Not sure I see your point here? Are you suggesting that today's consumers a=
re not interested in current high end audio because earbuds sound better th=
an consoles from the 60's?

=20
=20
=20
It's really hard to argue with such a fallacy.

=20

=20
Reality is people every where are listening to great sounding audio and=

the gap between the absolute best and consumer grade "brown-goods" ipods h=
as shrunk to near nothing.
=20
=20
=20
Well I certainly don't think you can go that far.=20

And that was the point of contention that Audio Empire made.=20

There's still a huge=20
=20
difference IMO. BUT, and it's a Huge BUT, for a Millenial that=20
=20
improvement also requires a significant sacrifice in lifestyle - over=20
=20
and above money - that we never experienced. It was ALL upside for us=20
=20
as long as we had the cash.
=20

Completely agreed. And that is the difference between the audiophile who pu=
rsues high end audio and the average Joe that Audio Empire is talking about